Whilst at Carew Academy, students learn the skills and attitudes required to enable them to become as independent as they can be and to prepare for adulthood. We aim for students to have an enriched and stimulating curriculum to give them every opportunity to reach their full potential.
Carew Academy supports careers development through high quality and personalised work experience opportunities. We enjoy high quality relationships with a number of external organisations and local businesses to provide opportunities for students to work in ‘real’ settings. We are always looking for additional opportunities to inspire and educate our students about the world of work. If you think you could help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At each stage of the learning journey, students are supported and encouraged to consider their future beyond school. Our Careers Programme details the events we incorporate into every child’s learning, as well as explaining all links to the Gatsby Benchmarks (see below explanation of Gatsby).
Jake Stratton, Assistant Principal and Head of Sixth Form and Michael Wood, Assistant Principal and Head of Upper School share responsibility for the careers programme at Carew Academy and she can be contacted via email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 0208 647 8349.
Provider Access Policy
Carew Academy is committed to providing high quality careers guidance and advice. Our Provider Access Policy (below) gives details of how training providers can visit the school to offer eligible students information and advice about career pathways.
The Gatsby Benchmarks – what are they?
The Gatsby Benchmarks are a key measure of the effectiveness of career advice. They are also a very important part of the Government’s career strategy. In order to ensure our students enjoy high quality careers guidance and experiences, we will continue to embed the below eight Gatsby Benchmarks throughout our Careers Programme in line with DfE expectations.
- A Stable Careers Programme
- Learning from Career and Labour Market Information
- Addressing the Needs of Each Pupil
- Linking Curriculum Learning to Careers
- Encounters with Employers and Employees
- Experiences of Workplaces
- Encounters With Further Education
- Personal Guidance
For more information on the Gatsby benchmarks please click on the following link www.goodcareerguidance.org.uk
At Carew Academy, we regularly measure and assess the impact of our careers programme on our pupils. We analyse our destination data and ensure that all our leavers access Education, Employment or Training, alongside this we collect feedback from both current and former students and their families. We also track the progress of our alumni to ensure placements are appropriate and therefore guidance was effective.
On a termly basis we measure the impact our careers programme has using The Careers and Enterprise Company Self-Evaluation Tool, against the Gatsby Benchmarks. At June 2019, Carew Academy is 100% compliant with the Gatsby Benchmarks. Click here to view our latest Compass Evaluation.
Further information for students, parents and staff:
- For more information about up-to-date careers advice and guidance, as well as labour markets and future study options, please visit: www.successatschool.org. You can sign up for free to this website. Success at School is the place for young people to explore careers, get more information on top employers, and search for the latest jobs, courses and advice. Parents can visit this site too and discuss the many options open to their child with them. Teachers and staff can also access this site, allowing them to access some fantastic resources that are subject-specific, as well as highlighting links between curriculum and careers.
- You can also find a list of Disability Confident Employers here: The Disability Confident scheme aims to help employers make the most of the opportunities provided by employing disabled people. It is voluntary and has been developed by employers and disabled people’s representatives. These organisations work closely with young people in their local areas and could provide excellent opportunities for students with special educational needs.
Information for employers:
A massive thank you to all of our local employers and colleges for supporting our students throughout this academic year. We have been lucky enough to build up a great list of local employers who attend our Careers Day and/or offer work experience to our students.
If you would like to get more involved with Carew Academy, please contact Jake Stratton via the school office (0208 647 8349) or email email@example.com. We are always looking for disability-confident employers to build key working relationships with.
The feedback from those we currently work with is very positive. For example:
“It was an absolute pleasure and great experience to be there again and see how the students progress.” Sutton Mencap
“We had a fantastic time. Thank you for inviting us.” Millwood Servicing Limited
“Just wanted to say thank you for having me and Westminster Homecare at your amazing school for the careers fair. Your students were fantastic. If you should find yourself organising another one please do not hesitate to send us an invite again.” Westminster Homecare (Wallington Branch)